Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Square Foot Gardening ( A step by step test )

     Many of the gardening books that I have read are composed of pretty much the same stuff. You put the seed in the ground, keep it watered, weeded and sunny then reap a "bountiful harvest". But, every once in a while, you come across a book that changes the way you think about things. After reading Mel Bartholomew's book Square Foot Gardening I just had to give this method a test run.
     Some of the methods in this book I have already been doing in my big garden. Such as starting seeds indoors instead of buying transplants. I also have a compost pile for adding "free" organic matter to my soil.
     I started a small flower bed garden this year to test this method out and to be honest I am very happy with the results. I thought I was over planting big time but as the season has progressed all my little plants have done very well.
     In a 14'×3' space I have 80 onion, 3 jalapeno, 4 tomato, 2 cucumber, 20 green bean, and a salad mix. All are actually producing better  than I would have hoped.
     For the future  I will use this method  exclusively but, on a bigger scale.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment